About This Blog

I began this blog in 2011 in an attempt to improve my photography and showcase all of California's 58 counties. I didn't quite make all of the 58, I missed three and I will try to rectify that in the coming year. I'm not sure how much I improved my photography because I always seemed to be in a rush.
In 2012 I plan to take more time, perhaps not post every day (this is one thing I did accomplish in 2011). I also plan to expand beyond California and include images from other parts of Western United States. I will continue to include a map showing where I was when I took the picture. I will keep commentary to a minimum, long photo essays will continue to be at Martha's Musings.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sign of Days Gone By

4/14/2011

San Bernardino County
Linked to Signs, Signs

Where is this?  Click the link for a map.

15 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

WHOA! Reduced fares? Definitely not a sign of today. :) Great find and I enjoyed the chuckle.

TexWisGirl said...

"hospitable" :)

Kay L. Davies said...

What a wonderful old sign, Martha. I wish I had been able to travel by train across the continent in the good old days!
I see I'm not the only one who zoomed in on the word "hospitable"! Days gone by, indeed, although Via Rail in Canada can still be a delight for first-class travel. There's nothing like a dining car with a good chef to make a trip memorable.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Postcardy said...

Getting to California by train is not what I would consider fast, but it would be fun if you have plenty of time.

genie said...

This is a great one....reduced fares....sounds good to me. I spent 4 years going back and forth to university via the Florida East Coast Railroad and it was a fine way to travel back then...even had a berth...and no unexpected stallings like with Amtrak.

Scrappy Grams said...

Love that word "hospitable"! Don't have much of that in today's transportation.

Photo Cache said...

that looks like quite ancient.

Lesley said...

Love the idea of hospitable travel!

the golf outfit is a hoot, too!

VioletSky said...

The simplicity of this is rather telling!

Inger-M said...

That's a pretty old sign! :-)

Joy said...

Oh for a time machine, which I would insist had hospitality.

Kim, USA said...

That's a pretty nice sign. ^_^

Signs

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love old train stuff. The big adventure of my childhood in fifth grade was riding the San Francisco Zephyr from Helper, Utah to Chicago, switching to the New York Central to New York City, and then to the New Haven line to Connecticut.

Andy said...

This sign must be from the same era when gas stations had service attendants. Maybe sometime in the future passenger trains will make a big come back.

RedPat said...

That's a wonderful find - so retro!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...