About This Blog

I began this blog in 2011 in an attempt to improve my photography and showcase all of California's 58 counties. I didn't quite make all of the 58, I missed three and I will try to rectify that in the coming year. I'm not sure how much I improved my photography because I always seemed to be in a rush.
In 2012 I plan to take more time, perhaps not post every day (this is one thing I did accomplish in 2011). I also plan to expand beyond California and include images from other parts of Western United States. I will continue to include a map showing where I was when I took the picture. I will keep commentary to a minimum, long photo essays will continue to be at Martha's Musings.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Showing his Stripes--Steller's Jay

9/29/2011

Sierra County
Where is this?  Click the link for a map. 

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Now those we don't have. Beautiful composition!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Kay L. Davies said...

Ah, the Stellar's Jay is the provincial bird of British Columbia. Curious and sociable creatures in urban areas, many of them have learned not to be afraid of people.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Beautiful pic, love the bird and the background.

??? said...

You captured a great pose, he looks like a building inspector. "I hereby declare this tree unsafe".

Pat Tillett said...

A fantastic photo of an amazing bird. These guys are so cute, smart and have great personalities. Around here we only have scrub jays, but they do share those same traits.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a beautiful picture! I quite agree with your comment I saw on Springman's post -- like his Kingfishers, these are beautiful birds, no matter how often we spot them. (Here, we usually only see scrub jays and I actually even enjoy them).

theconstantwalker said...

A lovely little Jay.. and a stunning image of it..

Sylvia K said...

Love the bird and your composition is terrific as always, Martha! Always look forward to your photos and they're always delightful! Enjoy the day!

Sylvia

mick said...

Beautiful - both bird and background.

Anonymous said...

Great photo!

eileeninmd said...

What a neat capture, lovely photo!

Dave said...

a brilliant image in its own right..... well composed with tonnes of intrest

Cheers
Dave

Larry said...

Very cool pose of the Steller's Jay Martha! Love those intensely blue eye brows!

James said...

Cool shot! I like the reflection and the composition!

Springman said...

Now I get your comment a little better! Yes,"common" or familiar does not mean unattractive or uninteresting. Especially your wonderful jay! Great post!

Fjällripan said...

Great photo!!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Catching him in an unnatural pose makes this shot a winner.

Anonymous said...

Great photo! Lovely bird, nice composition.

Rose said...

Interesting photo...I like his pose.

jeanlivingsimple said...

Outstanding capture!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...